We don't think this should be too complicated. Conduct of all who participate in our community should be based on open dialog, a willingness to learn, and helping each other out. For Security BSidesRDU, our rules of conduct, principles, and values are listed here.
We believe that there are simple rules for governance at any meeting of people striving to be a community:
- Don't be an asshole.
- Be willing to learn.
- Be willing to share.
- Be willing to help.
- Be willing to listen.
- Accept criticism.
- Be kind.
BSidesRDU is not an elementary school. It’s not a land full of rainbows and unicorns. Neither is it hell on earth. If you believe someone is misbehaving, acting inappropriately, or acting illegally, start by talking to that person. Confirm your perspective. If you are unable, or unwilling, to do that, that’s OK -- find a BSidesRDU Staff member and talk to them.
Security BSides operates under three simple principles:
- Expand the conversation.
- Enable people to join the discussion.
- Get people involved.
BSidesRDU supports those principles as part of our regional BSides operation. What that means is that BSidesRDU is your conference. It is up to everyone involved to make it happen, to engage in the debates, to speak up and give voice to the issues. Feedback to the organizers is always welcome.
Each BSides is a community-driven framework for building events for, and by, information security professionals. The goal is to expand the spectrum of conversation beyond the traditional confines of space and time. BSides creates opportunities for individuals to both present and participate in an intimate atmosphere that encourages collaboration. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from participants. It is where conversations for the next big thing are happening.
- We lower the barriers for people to participate.
- We involve people in organizing the events, to help them participate, involve a diversity of input, and teach a new generation of organizers.
- We build and use tools that enable greater participation, share ideas, and enable others to share the magic we collectively create. We share our work openly.
- We help grow the community, because a stronger group helps everyone involved.
- There are no bystanders.
- We all participate in different ways, including: audience, speakers, organizers, sponsors, volunteers.
- We encourage everyone to share their skills, expertise, and talent.
- We make decisions that strengthen the brand for everyone, not just ourselves.
- We remember that we are not owners of the brand, or the event, but simply caretakers that carry the torch for a period of time, until we pass it to others.
- We treat others with grace and respect at all times.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.